Who you hire as your Washington or Oregon family law attorney will go a long way towards determining how your divorce, custody, or other family law case plays out. Here are a few of the top mistakes people make when hiring a lawyer so you can avoid making the same mistakes.
1. Looking only for “good” answers about one’s divorce, custody, or restraining order case.
2. Falling for empty promises from a prospective family law attorney.
3. Looking for a family lawyer who is overly aggressive.
4. Hiring the first family law attorney called.
5. Ignoring personality flaws in an attorney.
In family law cases, it is very important that you get along well with your lawyer. Many people ignore their divorce lawyer’s glaring rudeness or other personality flaws just assuming “that’s the way lawyers are”. First of all although some attorneys do have a difficult personality, but this is not true of all of them. Second, personality plays an important part in a divorce or custody case. The reality is, because family law cases are so emotionally difficult and personal, you want to hire someone with a good personality who you can trust to help when emotions run high by managing negotiations and finding respectful ways to work with both you and the other party even when emotions flare.
Hopefully this was a helpful look at what mistakes are often made when looking for a Portland family law attorney so you can successfully avoid making these mistakes. You may also find our guide to divorce helpful.